Steps to Healing Trauma
The steps that truly, deeply heal trauma are simple, but have a profound positive effect on the nervous system of someone who has unresolved trauma. In my experience they are:
- Meet the person where they are. Don’t bring an agenda that says they have to be a certain way or act a certain way to be accepted and seen by you.
- Create healthy boundaries around the therapeutic relationship that work for both of you.
- Establish safety in the relationship by holding a strong, steady therapeutic presence. Let them know that your connection with them and their healing process is a priority.
- Honor their inner wisdom that guides the healing process when recognized and supported.
- Have patience with their process and timing.
All of these steps have been demonstrated and followed this week and the healing has been deep, unexpected (in certain cases) and wholly welcomed by this wonderful group of participants that have gathered for this class, as well as the TA staff here supporting me and the entire group. I am in awe of what unfolds every time I lead this workshop. My deepest gratitude must go to Spirit, who guides and supports us all.